The purpose of the University of Maryland (UMD) Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) is to outline how the university plans for, responds to, and recovers from all types of emergencies. The EOP forms the basis for operating procedures and plans for campus departments, offices, and units.
The goals of the EOP are to:
- Contribute to the protection of the health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors on campus
- Mitigate impacts to university property and the environment
- Provide effective and well-coordinated responses to emergencies
- Minimize disruptions to university operations
- Restore normal operations as quickly as possible
This plan was developed based on the Guide for Developing High Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education (2013) issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The plan fulfills the University System of Maryland (USM) Policy VI-13.00 requirement to develop and maintain an emergency preparedness plan.