- Call 911 from a campus phone
- Call 301-405-3333 or 911
- Use Blue Light Emergency Phone
Urgent Care University Health Center
Urgent Care is available for faculty, staff and students with urgent medical needs, and is open weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Emergencies such as bleeding, severe shortness of breath and/or chest pain, do not require appointments and are seen in Urgent Care. Students who are seriously ill or injured may be sent to the emergency department of a local hospital. There are charges for many urgent care services. Call 301-314-8184
Handling Alcohol Emergencies
A potentially dangerous situation exists whenever an individual consumes too much alcohol. A high blood concentration level can result in bizarre, unpredictable behavior, unconsciousness or death. The degree of danger depends on the person's size, what and how much the person drank, over what time period, if the person took drugs besides alcohol, and other circumstances.
Call 911 or 301-405-3333 to get help immediately if the person:
- Cannot be roused by shaking or shouting
- Has shallow or irregular breathing or if the rate is less than 12 breaths per minute
- Drank alcohol in combination with a sedative or tranquilizer
- Sustained a blow to the head or any injury that caused bleeding
- Has cold, clammy and/or blush skin
- Drank a large quantity
- Is disoriented, incoherent, or has collapsed
If a person has passed out due to excessive alcohol use:
- Do not leave the person alone!
- Check regularly for breathing and consciousness
- Make sure the person is lying on his/her side, with knees bent, to help prevent choking in the event vomiting occurs.
- Get immediate help if a person vomits and has difficulty expelling the vomit or gags on it.
If you are not sure what to do, call for call 911 or 301-405-3333.
University Health Center - After Hours NurseLine
The After Hours NurseLine is available when the University Health Center is closed or when hours vary during semester breaks, summer sessions, holidays, severe weather, or other emergency closings. The "After Hours NurseLine" is staffed with a team of experienced registered nurses who can provide information, support and education for many health-related questions or concerns.
The Health Center's hours of operation are from 8am until 7pm (Monday - Friday), 11am until 3pm (Saturday) and closed on Sunday. Call 301-314-9386
Mental Health Service
The Mental Health Service is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. It is located on the second floor of the University Health Center. Please call 301-314-8106 for an appointment.
- For substance abuse program information call 301-314-8106.
- For eating disorders program information call 301-314-8142.
There is a $10 fee for all mental health sessions. If this poses a hardship, please discuss this with the clinician. University Health Center Mental Health Services are available only to registered University of Maryland, College Park students.
This program provides support, information, options and resources for victims of sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, and partner/dating violence. Call 301-314-2222
Patients who require general medical services including routine physicals, evaluation of non-emergency medical complaints, and follow up of chronic medical conditions may schedule appointments between 8am and 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. There is a charge for this service. Call 301-314-8184