In the event of a fire within a campus building, it is necessary and safest for occupants to evacuate. University policy is total evacuation.
A fire or hazardous materials emergency exists whenever:
- A building fire evacuation alarm is sounding
- An uncontrolled fire or imminent fire hazard occurs in any building or area of campus
- There is the presence of smoke, or the odor of burning
- There is abnormal spontaneous or abnormal heating of any material
- There is an uncontrolled release of combustible or toxic gas or other hazardous material, or a flammable liquid spill.