If you receive a bomb threat by telephone, here are some helpful things to keep in mind:
1. Remain Calm. When the bomb threat is received, the person taking the call must remain calm and obtain as much information as possible.
- A. DO NOT put the caller on hold
- B. DO NOT attempt to transfer the call
2. The person taking the call should immediately notify another staff person in the office, preferably while the caller is still on the line.
3. Pay attention to the caller and his/her words and speech:
- A. Does the caller have and distinguishing voice characteristics such as an accent, stuttering or mispronunciation?
- B. Is the caller angry, excited, irrational or agitated?
- C. Is the caller a man or woman, young, middle aged or old?
- D. If you have caller ID, note the phone number of the caller.
4. Listen for background noises (traffic, train whistle, music, radio, TV, children, airplanes, etc).
5. It is important to document all that you know and hear. This should include filling out the Bomb Threat Checklist.
6. Call UMPD at 911 or (301) 405-3333.
7. Do not evacuate until told to do so by the Department of Public Safety.